NETFLIX IS NOW IN ECUADOR
Someone asked us a few weeks back how it was like to stream Netflix movies. Well, my answer was not that good since Netflix was not even here in Ecuador yet. In July of this year, we did try a free proxy server but I guess Netflix discovered we were using a proxy and they kept cutting us off. But no more...on September 9th Netflix made its debute with ALL Latin American countries! So far trying to stream movies has been a bit iffy. Last week we tried to stream Hulu again and it just wouldn't work. We have not tried Netflix since July and like I said, the proxy server kept cutting off from Netflix. We'll try again.
Here is an article online that talks about Netflix in Latin America. Here is a what they are saying about Netflix in Ecuador. You can read the full article here.
Quote From Article: Many experts have already raised serious concerns over Netflix Strategy in Latin America including Micheal Pachter of Webbush Securities, who says, “This just won’t work in Ecuador or Costa Rica or even Mexico as it has in the U.S, It’s going to depend on how many households have broadband access and what the quality of the content will be like”.
Ummm, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how Netflix is going to do here.
ETAPA INTERNET UPDATE
Recap: Went down to Etapa with letter in hand (written in Spanish) about Internet service being bad. The letter describes the problems we have been having and is in the post titled “Internet update” on this blog. The woman who helped us said they would call that evening at 5pm and then send someone out to check the wiring…
They never showed up on that day (Monday) but they did show up on Wednesday at around 5:30pm. The repairman checked the wiring inside the house and said there was not a problem, in fact, I forgot to mention this whole time we were having bad Internet Etapa was saying there was not a problem on their end. Anyway, to make a long story short he said it was our computers that had the problem. And Frank told him nicely, “no it is not our computers, it is something on your end, because every single night we have no Internet around 6pm.”
The repairman made a few tests online and he checked our Internet speed and it came out slower than what we are paying ($72 a month) then he said it again, “It’s your computers, I’ll come back out tomorrow (mannana). Before he left Frank explained to him again that out Internet goes out every day after 6pm and we have nada Interent, and the guy promised he’d be back the next day on Thursday to run some more tests.
Well, here’s the clincher folks…oddly enough that night the Internet did not go out after 6pm and it still has not gone out after 6pm like it was doing, and that was 7 days ago. So the repairman did something on his end or Etapa did something and obviously they knew they fixed the problem because the repair guy never called or came back out again.
We’re thrilled we’re not getting cut off after 6pm and for now we’ll stay with Etapa since they did fix that problem. The Internet works pretty decent in the mornings. It still cuts out a couple times throughout the day, for around 5 to 10 minutes, some days this happens five, six, seven times, but we’re fine with that for now as long as it doesn’t start getting any worse, or cutting off altogether again after 6pm.
- Cuenca FAQ
- What is Cuenca Like?
- Retiring or Moving to Cuenca?
- Expats in Cuenca Talk
- Health and Well Being
- Better Health, Better Life
- Marriage Restoration
- DIY Quito Landing Guide
- DIY Cuenca Ecuador Landing Guide
- DIY Ecuador Coast Guide
- Cuenca Ecuador Videos
- FREE Restaurant Guide
- Browse Bookstore
- DIY Frugal Cuenca
- La Libertad
- Puerto Lopez
- Punta Blanca
- Puerto Cayo
- San Lorenzo
- San Clemete
- Bahia de Caraquez
- San Vicente
- Cost of Living for Family of Five!
- Avoid Gringo Gouging with Rule of 3 and 4
- Retire in Cuenca on $1600 Instead of $900...what?
- Cuenca Ecuador Has Been Discovered!
- Why Cuenca Cost of Living is Ambiguous
- Is it Cheaper to Live in Pennsylvania or Cuenca?
- Cuenca Inflation: Comment from an Ecuadorian
- Don't Move to Cuenca Just Because It's Cheap
- How Much Produce Can You Buy with $26?
- Feed Family for $400 a Month
- Bargaining Is Expected In Ecuador
- Do You Have to Go Frugal in Cuenca?
- Medical Tourism in Cuenca
- All This Food for $20 Bucks!
- Real Estate Purchasing Power and the Fickleness of Cheap Edens
- Buying Real Estate in Cuenca? Read This First
- Do You Want Cuenca to Turn Into a Panama?
- Why We Did Not Accept HHI Feature Offer
- Don't Fall Victim to Overpriced Real Estate
- Real Estate Market up: How to Still Find Bargains
- How Not to Dress Like a Rich American
- Not All Gringos are Rich!
- What Kind of Impact Do Shows Like HHI Make on Small Cities Like Cuenca?
- More Articles About Cuenca RE
- We Rent for $250
- Gringa Expat Rents 3/2 for $200!
- $300 Dollar Cuenca Rentals
- Rental Inflation - Local Cuencana Speaks Out
- Searching for a Local Priced Rental
- Talking with Ecuadorian RE Broker about Expat Relocation
- Beautiful $300 Rental Home Tour
- Can You Still Find $250 Rentals in Cuenca?
- Local Taxi Driver Says, "Don't Pay More than $300 for Rent"
- Pets and Furnished Rentals
- Local Priced Rental Home Tours
- Are You a Responsible Expatter?
- NEGOTIATE Instead of being Gringoed
- How to Get a Good Rental Deal
- Can You Still Find Local Priced Rentals in Cuenca?
- How Do Ecuadorians Protect Themselves from Crime
- How I Got Pick Pocketed on the Bus
- Safe Neighborhoods in Cuenca?
- Petty Theft Crime in Ecuador
- Is It Safer to Live in Gringolandia?
- Why Homes Are Walled and Behind Iron Gates
- Avoid Being a Victim!
- Expat Woman Stabbed on Popular Walking Trail
- Gringos NOT Taking Ecuador Crime Seriously
- What Future Expats Need to Know Before Retiring to Ecuador
- We Answer Readers Concerns
- Stay Vigilant in the Quito and Guayaquil Airports
- How Not to Become a Target of Crime
- Alice Retires in Cuenca and Rents for $350
- Karina Rents Nice Apartment for $200 w/Views!
- Ecuadorian RE Broker Shares Inside Scoop to Expat Living
- Expat Shares His Experience at the Quito Airport
- Expat David Shares His Story at the Quito Airport
- Expat Andrea Shares Her Story with the Ecuadorian Residency Visa
- Meet Expats Jim and Kay and their First Impressions of Cuenca
- DIY Cuenca Landing Guide Video Reviews from Expats
- Shopping in Cuenca