click here. This article will give you an idea about the more common insects and bugs in Cuenca, at least the ones we have seen and have not seen. Stay Tuned for blog post about some of the animals we have seen in Cuenca.
Bugs we rarely or never see in Cuenca:
1. Cock roaches – never
2. Mosquitoes – rarely
3. Ants – never
4. Wasps or Hornets – never
5. Crickets/Grasshoppers – never hear nor see (common at the coast, though)
6. Butterflies – never
7. Flies – rarely in winter
Bugs and Insects that we see sometimes or often
1. Tarantulas – sometimes / often, depending on time of year
2. Earwigs – often
3. Spiders – often, and especially in spring
4. Italian honey bees – often
5. Moths – often
6. Scorpgrass – (not real name, see photo below) - sometimes
7. Beetles – often
8. Flies and fruit flies – sometimes, but more often in the summer months
We just found another tarantula outside on the back terrazzo. He is not one of the bigger ones we have seen however.
Anyway, we caught the little critter in a jar and let him loose by some rocks by the river bed. Compared to South Carolina, Cuenca does not have very many bugs or insects.
- Browse Bookstore
- What is Cuenca Like?
- Retiring or Moving to Cuenca?
- Expats in Cuenca Talk
- DIY Cuenca Ecuador Landing Guide
- DIY Ecuador Coast Guide
- DIY Quito Landing Guide
- Cuenca Ecuador Videos
- Health and Well Being
- Marriage Restoration
- FREE Restaurant Guide
- Better Health, Better Life
- La Libertad
- Puerto Lopez
- Puerto Cayo
- San Lorenzo
- San Clemete
- Bahia de Caraquez
- San Vicente
- Cost of Living for Family of Five!
- Avoid Gringo Gouging with Rule of 3 and 4
- Retire in Cuenca on $1600 Instead of $900...what?
- Cuenca Ecuador Has Been Discovered!
- Why Cuenca Cost of Living is Ambiguous
- Is it Cheaper to Live in Pennsylvania or Cuenca?
- Cuenca Inflation: Comment from an Ecuadorian
- Don't Move to Cuenca Just Because It's Cheap
- How Much Produce Can You Buy with $26?
- Feed Family for $400 a Month
- Bargaining Is Expected In Ecuador
- Do You Have to Go Frugal in Cuenca?
- Medical Tourism in Cuenca
- All This Food for $20 Bucks!
- Real Estate Purchasing Power and the Fickleness of Cheap Edens
- Buying Real Estate in Cuenca? Read This First
- Do You Want Cuenca to Turn Into a Panama?
- Why We Did Not Accept HHI Feature Offer
- Don't Fall Victim to Overpriced Real Estate
- Real Estate Market up: How to Still Find Bargains
- How Not to Dress Like a Rich American
- Not All Gringos are Rich!
- What Kind of Impact Do Shows Like HHI Make on Small Cities Like Cuenca?
- More Articles About Cuenca RE
- We Rent for $250
- Gringa Expat Rents 3/2 for $200!
- $300 Dollar Cuenca Rentals
- Rental Inflation - Local Cuencana Speaks Out
- Searching for a Local Priced Rental
- Talking with Ecuadorian RE Broker about Expat Relocation
- Beautiful $300 Rental Home Tour
- Can You Still Find $250 Rentals in Cuenca?
- Local Taxi Driver Says, "Don't Pay More than $300 for Rent"
- Pets and Furnished Rentals
- Local Priced Rental Home Tours
- Are You a Responsible Expatter?
- NEGOTIATE Instead of being Gringoed
- How to Get a Good Rental Deal
- Can You Still Find Local Priced Rentals in Cuenca?
- How Do Ecuadorians Protect Themselves from Crime
- How I Got Pick Pocketed on the Bus
- Safe Neighborhoods in Cuenca?
- Petty Theft Crime in Ecuador
- Is It Safer to Live in Gringolandia?
- Why Homes Are Walled and Behind Iron Gates
- Avoid Being a Victim!
- Expat Woman Stabbed on Popular Walking Trail
- Gringos NOT Taking Ecuador Crime Seriously
- What Future Expats Need to Know Before Retiring to Ecuador
- We Answer Readers Concerns
- Stay Vigilant in the Quito and Guayaquil Airports
- How Not to Become a Target of Crime
- Alice Retires in Cuenca and Rents for $350
- Karina Rents Nice Apartment for $200 w/Views!
- Ecuadorian RE Broker Shares Inside Scoop to Expat Living
- Expat Shares His Experience at the Quito Airport
- Expat David Shares His Story at the Quito Airport
- Expat Andrea Shares Her Story with the Ecuadorian Residency Visa
- Meet Expats Jim and Kay and their First Impressions of Cuenca
- DIY Cuenca Landing Guide Video Reviews from Expats
- Shopping in Cuenca