click here. This article will give you an idea about the more common insects and bugs in Cuenca, at least the ones we have seen and have not seen. Stay Tuned for blog post about some of the animals we have seen in Cuenca.
Bugs we rarely or never see in Cuenca:
1. Cock roaches – never
2. Mosquitoes – rarely
3. Ants – never
4. Wasps or Hornets – never
5. Crickets/Grasshoppers – never hear nor see (common at the coast, though)
6. Butterflies – never
7. Flies – rarely in winter
Bugs and Insects that we see sometimes or often
1. Tarantulas – sometimes / often, depending on time of year
2. Earwigs – often
3. Spiders – often, and especially in spring
4. Italian honey bees – often
5. Moths – often
6. Scorpgrass – (not real name, see photo below) - sometimes
7. Beetles – often
8. Flies and fruit flies – sometimes, but more often in the summer months
We just found another tarantula outside on the back terrazzo. He is not one of the bigger ones we have seen however.
Anyway, we caught the little critter in a jar and let him loose by some rocks by the river bed. Compared to South Carolina, Cuenca does not have very many bugs or insects.