Source: Wikipedia about Salvia Hispanica
Chia Seeds Nutritional Benefits
Chia seeds are loaded with protein and fiber and they pack a wallop of antioxidants in just a very small amount, even more than the super food, the blueberry! According to sources they also have:
14 times more magnesium than broccoli
8 times more Omega-3 than salmon
5 times more calcium than milk
3 times more antioxidants than blueberries
3 times more iron than spinach
2 times more fiber than any other cereal
2 times more protein than any other seed
2 times more potassium than bananas
Source: EC Foods
5 Ways to Eat and Prepare Chia Seeds
1. Mix one tablespoon to ¼ cup water and wait ten minutes, then drink. Chia seeds are a bit like Psyllium because they swell up into a gelatin mass when mixed with liquid. Yes, they have a lot of fiber content just like Psyllium and help push the contents of your bowels in the morning. I know you wanted to hear that...and yes, I'm laughing out loud. :-)
|chia seed supplement = 1 tablespoon|
2. Add a tablespoon to your favorite yogurt
3. Add a tablespoon to your breakfast cereal or rolled oats
4. Nutritional no bake squares. Frank makes awesome healthy cocoa bars using Chia seeds as one of the ingredients. Both the texture and flavor are almost like an energy bar. These nutritious little bars take care of your sweet tooth and pack a nutritional punch. By the way, they are not cooked, which makes them even healthier for you.
5. Bake with Chia. You can add it to baked goods and many people use Chia to make puddings; the texture is certainly there for making puddings.
As with any so called health food or “super food” good health relies on leading a health-conscience lifestyle in all areas of our life. Adding Chia seeds to our diet is not going to save us from what ails us in our body. We recommend using Chia as a complement and supplement to an already healthy diet and there you will receive the benefits from it, just like with any food that is considered a “super food”.
Until we write again…
If you liked this article, we think you might like these too!
We're an Expat Family of Five, Living Frugal, Healthy and Happy Abroad. We live in Cuenca, Ecuador and travel the Ecuador coast whenever we get a chance. We just adventured throughout the country of Panama for five weeks! Come along and enjoy some of our experiences with us!