1. Fresh Fruits - There is an abundance of fresh fruits available here and at reasonable prices.
|Avocados - 4 for $1|
3. Eating out in (MOST) Restaurants (out of the tourist areas)
4. Going to a movie - Btw, for Star War fans out there. Star Wars is playing at the Milenium Mall Cinemas (December 28, 2015) in Cuenca and it's in English with Spanish subtitles! Don't know how long it will be playing but you can call them and find out.
5. Filling up your car tank with gas
6. Propane gas for appliances
7. Rents - Usually anyway. This is subjective because rents compared to lower cost u.s. areas can be similar and not necessarily cheaper.
8. Electric and water (Utilities)
9. Lumber for construction/building
10. Taking the city bus
11. Taking the national (regional) bus
12. Prescription medications - Just be careful, prescriptions are all over the map. We have found the best prices are not in the touristy areas.
13. Dental care - Again, this is subjective, gringos looking for English speaking dental and medical caregivers, end up paying many times more than Ecuadorian rates, and are therefore not that much lower than in your country.
14. Medical care (same as above)
15. Taxi fares - In Cuenca all taxis are metered. Never get into a taxi that does not have a meter running or you will be scalped.
If you would like to add a product or service that cost less in Ecuador than the U.S, let us know in the comments below.
Until we write again…here's a few more articles you might like.
We're an Expat Family of Five, Living Frugal, Healthy and Happy Abroad. We live in Cuenca, Ecuador and travel the Ecuador coast whenever we get a chance. We just adventured throughout the country of Panama for five weeks! Come along and enjoy some of our experiences with us!